Information about english speaking courses, send an email to;

D5L Recreational craft operators

We offer English speaking course for D5L (Recreational craft operators) The course comprises theoretical and practical training for a certificate that entitles the holder to operate a recreational craft with a hull length of up to 24 meters in trade area Great coasting.

The curriculum comprises the following subjects:

  • Navigation
  • Navigational aids
  • Rules of the road at sea and navigational watch requirements
  • Ship studies
  • Safety and security
  • Technology and marine motor engineering
  • Navigational aids in practice
  • Handling the craft

Practictical module and exams require attendence.  

More information about D5L sertificate: Click here


Deck officer class 5

 Certificate of competency Deck officer class 5 gives the right to serve on ships with a gross tonnage of less than 500 in North and Baltic shipping as Duty Officer in charge or/and Chief Mate.

The curriculum comprises the following subjects:

  • Navigation
  • Navigation aids 
  • Skipslære m/laste - og stabilitetslære
  • Sjøveisregler og brovakthold.

D5 requires ROC or GOC/GMDSS, Imo 60/80 as well as 40 hours medical treatment.

 In order to be issued a D5 certificate, you need the additional courses:

  • ECDIS (Electronic Chart Display and Information System) 
  • BRM (Bridge Resource Management) 
  • ARPA (Automatic Radar Plotting Aid)

Holder of a competency certificate deck officer class 5 who has reached the age of 20 and has at least 12 months' seagoing service as an officer in charge, may serve as master on ships with a gross tonnage of less than 500 in North and Baltic shipping.


Boat Drivers Licence

This is a theory based course and exam which is mandatory if you want to skipper boats up to 15 meters (50 foot) in Norway. After the course you will be ready to take the exam right after the course. It takes 1 hour and you have 50 multiple choice questions.

The curriculum is based around:
• Chart & Navigation
• Safety & seamanship
• Rules of the Road and maritime laws
• Important to know subjects

ICC - International Certificate of Competence

The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) gives you the right to operate a recreational craft in other countries which have adopted UNECE Resolution No. 40 concerning ICC. An ICC issued in Norway gives master's rights of recreational craft of up to 15 metres.

The ICC may be issued for both inland waters and coastal waters. In Norway the ICC is only issued for coastal waters for motor boats and/or sailing vessels.

In order to be issued the ICC for coastal waters you need to pass the national boating exam as well as complete and pass a practical examination for motor boat or sailing vessel.